Hard Wax, Soft Wax and Sugaring Services at Jessa Skin, San Rafael CA
Which is right for you – hard wax, soft wax or sugaring? Jessa Skin in San Rafael, CA specializes in all three services. Here’s a breakdown of the different types of hair removal options so you will know exactly what is used on your skin and why.
Soft Wax (Gentle Strip Wax) vs. Hard Wax
When you first look at the types of waxes, you might be inclined to say “gentle strip wax only please!” It implies a tender approach whereas hard wax just sounds scary. Don’t let the names fool you! When not applied correctly, gentle strip wax can lift the skin and cause scabbing or scarring. It is only safe and recommended to be used on the body such as legs, arms, chest, back, etc. This type of wax should never be used on the face or sensitive areas such as the bikini area. For these places, you want a hard wax which is thicker in consistency and applied warm. The wax hardens and is removed without a strip. Hard wax removes shorter and courser hair without breaking the skin in the process. Since hard wax only removes hair, it eliminates the need to go over the same area more than once.
Before any waxing service, make sure to notify your esthetician if you are using any exfoliating creams (alpha hydroxy acids, retin A, glycolic). Accutane as well as other medications this can cause serious side effects such as scabbing.
For a complete list of Jessa Skin waxing services, please click here.
Unlike soft or hard waxing, with sugaring the name says it all! Sugaring is a gentle, natural hair removal that is less painful than waxing and results in less irritation and ingrown hairs. It is a specialty technique that needs to be applied correctly. At Jessa Skin, all of our estheticians are certified in Sugaring (be careful – many estheticians at other spas are not!) and use a natural sugar paste consisting of sugar, water and lemon juice to remove body and facial hair. With sugaring, large amounts of hair can be taken out at once and removed fast. In case hairs are missed, sugaring can be used over the same area without fear of much irritation. The sugar paste easily washes off with water.
The major difference between sugaring and waxing on legs and sensitive areas is that waxing adheres to skin cells whereas sugaring does not. Wax products are made of resins which adhere to skin cells on legs and bodies. Sugaring products never adhere to live skin cells. Therefore, when it is removed, it only gently exfoliates dead skin cells, leaving behind glowing skin. However, it takes more time to remove hair with sugaring than waxing.
For more information on Jessa Skin’s Sugaring Services, please click here.
Important Tips for Both Waxing and Sugaring
For either soft wax, hard wax or sugaring appointments, it is always best to come prepared in order to minimize discomfort from hair removal. Here are some things you can do beforehand:
- No sunbathing 48 hours before hair removal
- Come to your appointment freshly showered and free of ALL oils and lotions
- Loofah or exfoliate the skin prior to your waxing appointment
- Be sure to wear loose clothing to your appointment
- Be Gentle the first 24-48 hrs! When you get home shower and use our Organic Pure Cleanse or a very gentle/neutral facial cleanser to clean the area. Harsh soaps or scrubs can cause hives, breakouts & ingrowns. Do not over stimulate the skin. Moisturize the area with squalene oil, organic aloe gel or manuka honey to sooth and heal the first few days.
- Exfoliate 24 to 48 hours after treatment to prevent the build up of dead skin cells which can cause ingrown hair. We recommend Walnut Scrub, Pumice Scrub or Scrub Gloves.
- Avoid scented lotions and perfumes, as well as, all alpha hydroxy products for 48 hours. Treat your skin like it has a minor sunburn and use aloe gel, squalene oil or manuka honey.
- NO HOT showers, baths, hot tubs, sun exposure for the first 24 hours. Again think minor burn your follicles are healing each one needs to close up.
For more information on Jessa Skin’s products and services, please call our day spa at 415-342-3413 or visit us online.
February 2, 2013 · by Sharon · in BEST Organic | Natural Skincare Product | Advice | Reviews, Healthy Living · Tags: