Before Waxing or Sugaring – What To Know
Benefits of waxing & sugaring:
Unlike shaving, waxing removes the entire hair follicle or root. If you wax consistently every two-four weeks, the hair can begin to take four-six weeks to grow back.
- The hair that returns will be much thinner and finer with smaller more shallow roots, over time the follicle will no longer produce a blood supply which means hair removal will become permanent. You will also see more glow hair removal exfolaites the skin, softer outgrowth with no more rough stubble, reduce ingrown hairs, no more razor burn or cuts, takes 2-4 weeks to grow back, over time its permanent.
How To Prepare:
- The hair must be at least ¼ of an inch long or have 3 weeks outgrowth to be removed successfully.
- The first time wax appointment is the most painful, by the second wax it will be much easier. We highly recommend our numbing cream (Relax & Wax)
- Getting a brazilian? You should trim all thick areas down to ¼ of an inch.
- Please, no sun bathing 48 hrs prior to hair removal.
- Come to your appointment freshly showered and clean of ALL oils and lotions.
- Loofah or gently exfoliate your skin prior to your appointment.
- Wear loose clothing.
The client will sign a waiver of liability, detailing all the facts of the waxing procedure. If in fact you are having any kind of bikini / brazilian wax, you will be offered options:
- Keep your panties on
- Wear a disposable panty
- Go nude
The Esthetician will prepare the area. Your Esthetician will then determine which Wax or Sugar is best suite for your skin type.
- Hard Wax
- Strip Wax
The appointment can last anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on the area. The waxing site will then be cleansed of any excess wax, and them cooled down with an aloe gel or squalene.
The Pain Factor, things to reduce the sting:
- Take over the counter Pain Killer (caution: some medications are blood thinners increasing chance of bruising during service, use non-blood thinning products. ask your doctor for advice on which one to choose. )
- The first wax or sugar is the most painful, by the second wax it will be much easier. The third and fourth wax it will be even better, you will then start to have roughly the same discomfort each time. The hair follicle is not as deep in the skin and has a barely any blood supply if you come every 2-3 weeks to start.
*** If you have a low pain tolerance, we highly recommend our numbing cream (Relax & Wax) be applied to any sensitive areas: (face, eyebrows, brazilian, etc.) You must come in ahead of time to purchase the cream it must be applied 45 minutes prior to waxing and washed with soap right before your appointment.
- Clients can take an antacid or antihistamine, 10-20 minutes prior to hair removal. An antacid can reduce the acid in your system thus reducing sensitivity. An antihistamine can help prevent swelling due to inflammation in the body.
- Ideally, clients should have little or no caffeine in their systems. Caffeine heightens sensitivity.
- Waxing during your menstrual cycle is not recommended. During your cycle your body is more sensitive due to hormonal changes, thus causing the treatment to be more painful. Although we have many regular visitors that end up removing hair during their cycle who have no problems!